Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hardy Geraniums, Columbines and Other Pretties


I've never done a blog meme before, but I thought if I was going to start it would have to be with Tootsie's Fertilizer Friday. I just hope I do it right, I've never participated in one of these before.

Here's a look at the flowers blooming in my garden right now.

Aquilegia 'Tequila Sunrise' was supposed to be red and yellow, but this one and another in the same bed are both yellow. I was hoping for something that would look similar to the native red and yellow columbine, Aquilegia canadensis, but this is still pretty.

I also have 'Clementine Red' growing in my garden.

I love hardy geraniums, they are one of my favorite perennials.

'Biokovo'

And 'Biokovo Karmina' (with bonus wee bug)

Geranium macrorrhizum 'Bevan's Variety' (a little out of focus, the neighbor's psychotic cat was twining around my legs as I was trying to take this pic)

My Weigela 'Wine and Roses' is covered in flowers.

And I discovered that a plant that I thought was a rosemary is actually a French lavender.

Thanks for checking out my blog. Lots of other bloggers participate in Tootsie's Fertilizer Friday, so head over to Tootsie Time and check out all the other blogs!

9 comments:

  1. Very pretty blooms. I have a Weigela 'Wine and Roses' new for me this year. Very pretty. You couldn't have chosen a more fun meme to join.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always liked columbines but don't keep many these days... problems from rabbits to worms and leaf miners make them difficult to maintain... yours look very nice... Larry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lavender is so much better than rosemary, don't you think! Very pretty, especially Colombines, some of my favorite flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the compliments! I am happy with the lavender, it's much prettier than rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What Lovely Blooms! The Columbine always remind me of little Faeries, Lavender is always Wonderful to have, & the smell so Divine!! There is something to be said for Rosemary, in the world of the Fae it is known to keep evil away. It is kept at the Garden Gate. And it is always great for cooking and also has medicinal properties.It is good to have as well :) Enjoy your Holiday Weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the geraniums. I just have a few but really want to try a macrorhizum because I've read they handle dry shade. That Weigela is just covered in flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely blooms! Your lavendar is wonderful - thanks for sharing! paula in Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  8. My lavender hasn't bloomed yet, but it is sure doing well. The hardy geraniums are gorgeous...I've never seen them before. Went backwards to read your blog when I saw you transplanted to Washington from MA. My sister lives in MA and I transplanted to Eastern Washington from So Cal five years ago. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you are on a wonderful and fulfilling adventure. It will be fun to watch it all unfold with you.
    Enjoy every moment.
    Welcome to the world of blogging!
    Mona

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.