Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Monday, October 15, 2018

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day -- October 2018

Here's a record of what's blooming in my garden this October.

Arbutus unedo 'Compacta' is covered in flowers, and often frequented by hummingbords

Most years it has both flowers and last year's strawberry-shaped fruit at the same time, but not this year

A handful of Calendulas are still hanging on, despite some very cold overnight temperatures, close to freezing

Helianthus and purple Aster

A couple of California poppies have rebloomed since our return of rain

Most of the Echinaceas are dried seedheads, but they have produced a few new blooms

Hardy Geranium 'Wargrave Pink' goes on all summer and into fall

Sedum 'Autumn Joy' is mostly finished blooming, I think, sometimes it's hard to tell

This Japanese Anemone whose name I've lost has produced one bloom, it's in a terrible weed-infested spot where it gets neither enough sun nor enough water

The tuberous Begonias are still flowering, although the foliage doesn't look its best.






Dahlias are still flowering heavily too, although the rain we've had has beaten some of them down a bit. I'll have to try to remember to give them more support next year.

Dahlia 'Black Beauty'

'Black Beauty'

Dinner plate Dahlia

Leaning over (I won't show the ones that have planted their faces all the way down in the dirt)


Cyclamen hederifolium

Chocolate Eupatorium

Geranium 'Ann Folkard'

Corydalis lutea

Phygelius

Most of the oakleaf Hydrangea flowers have turned brown, but there are a couple of new white ones

I've lost track of the name of this pink Hydrangea still growing in a pot, I wonder if some day I'll get it in the ground

I was very late getting my Brugmansias out of the garage, and they only started flowering about two weeks ago, just in time to go back in

All the tender plants have made it into the greenhouse to be overwintered once again, and a few are flowering.
Begonia 'Little Brother Montgomery' stands in for all the other leafy Begonias, since all their flowers pretty much look the same

I realized when I moved my Hindu Rope Hoya into the greenhouse that it has been producing flower clusters for a while, since there were quite a few dried ones

Carol at May Dreams Gardens hosts Garden Bloggers Bloom Day on the fifteenth of the month. Check out her post here.