Thursday, March 6, 2014

Annual Pilgrimage to Sky Nursery

Every year around this time, not long after the NWFGS, I make my annual trip to Sky Nursery north of Seattle. Sky was the very first nursery I shopped at when we first moved here to Washington state, and it holds a special place in my heart and memories. Yesterday morning I drove up to check it out.

There were plenty of grasses to choose from

Plenty of ferns too!

Polypodium pseudo-aureum 'Virginia Blue'

I love the yellow stripe down the center of this Arachnoides simplicor 'variegata'

 Fern fronds unfurl so delicately


A touch of variegation in this Hellebore's leaves

Unfortunately I didn't get a shot of the tag -- All I can remember is Pink Something

I didn't get a shot of the tag of this one either

This two-tone Muscari reminds me of Spanish lavender

This lushness was hard to resist

Suddenly it seems Cryptanthus are everywhere

Teeny tiny Cryptanthus

A cool Tillandsia display

Tillandsia funkiana

Tillandsia in a tiny birdcage

Tillandsias sitting on branches


Rhododendron 'Hansel' -- the tag said it has salmon orange flowers, but every photo on Google shows salmon pink

Salmon orange flowers would look great with that orange indumentum

I don't know why, but it seems to me that the nurseries north of Seattle -- Swanson's, Sky, and Molbak's -- all seem to stock up on plants much sooner and more quickly than the ones within easy driving distance of my house. But then, it makes for a fun field trip!

12 comments:

  1. Sky is one of the few nurseries in the Seattle area I've been to (my family didn't go to the big city often). The hellebore with the pretty leaves is 'Penny's Pink'. I don't know the yellow one, but it's beautiful! I love that Rhododendron 'Hansel'. Gorgeous leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I've never been there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we've only been to Sky once. I do love how you get around to all of the nurseries, and take us along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I want to go there too! I've only been a couple of times; once in early summer and once very late in the season. Love the tillandsia display. For some reason, I'm currently crazy about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plenty there to feed your growing tillandsia habit. And what a wonderful, massive greenhouse in which to shop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is just as well I'm a long long way away.. I could spend a fortune there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could happily buy loads of their ferns, and tillandsias!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great. Makes me want to visit a nursery and buy a cart-load of plants. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice nursery. After seeing their Tillandsia display, now I want some too - I've resisted the pull up until now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great nursery. I love the pink Hellebore and I can never resist Muscari.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.