Thursday, February 21, 2013

The NWFGS Small Space Showcase

The Small Space Showcase at the NWFGS features 16 gardens designed to make the most of a small terrace, patio or deck. This year I had three favorites amongst the Small Space Showcase gardens, which take place on the Skybridge at the Convention Center. In past years, these small gardens, with their space constraints, have been some of my favorites, over even the big, splashy display gardens.

Here are my favorites.

"Electro-Cute: Salvaged Objects Take Charge" by Artistic Garden Concepts, winner of the "2013 Best Re-Characterization Award."











"2013: A Plant Odyssey" by Ravenna Gardens










"A Garden Collage" by Killarney Cove Garden Design, winner of the "2013 Best Design Award."















7 comments:

  1. Love seeing your pictures! We missed some of these due to lack of time. Lots of great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I love these small gardens. I wish they had done that at the PDX show. Great selections to feature. I love the use of succulents in the first two. The tipped over planters are awesome! Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! So cool to see the show and see posts about it from a variety of lenses. You pointed out some elements that I totally missed. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh, Alison, did you see that sign in the upper left-hand corner of the first photo? "Danger--Spiked Foliage." I wonder where they got that sign. Doesn't that just make you think of Loree and her Danger Garden? She needs that sign!

    The first one is my favorite. I love every photo you took of it. The burlap background, the round rusty things, the plants, the lights. Too cool!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sitting on the sidelines isn't so bad with people like you documenting the show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember when we were all making mosaics, back about 2003? I grew weary of trying to cover a WHOLE piece. Just making patterns is a great new idea. Now where'd I store the tessarae?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the container plantings. What a great mix of plants. Love the cork panels -- new way to use all those wine bottle corks we have kept.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.