Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My Autumn Garden

My autumn garden doesn't just depend on foliage for interest, I do still have some flowers blooming.


Tricyrtis 'Taipei Silk'

Chocolate Eupatorium (Joe-Pye Weed)

Chocolate Joe Pye also provides a backdrop for a dark-leaved Cimicifuga/Actaea/whatever they're calling it now.

Red annual Coreopsis

Dianthus

Another Dianthus

A hardy Geranium called 'Confetti' has tiny flowers similar to G. robertianum, but wonderful variegated leaves.

Sheffield Pink Chrysanthemum, planted in the spring, with a backdrop of Agastache 'Golden Jubilee'



Salvia patens, started from seed, has enormous bright blue flowers, but may not be hardy here. We'll see.

I have some unknown Dahlias.







Unknown Dahlia, with the turning foliage of my oak tree

Dahlia 'Harlequin'

Dahlia 'Eveline'

Dahlia 'Arabian Night'

Buds on Mahonia 'Charity' mean I will have flowers this winter.

Autumn Foliage

Red Twig Dogwood



Cyclamen coum

Cyclamen hederifolium

Arum 'Jack Sprat'



Acer circinatum 'Pacific Fire'

Oak



And the ever-present ground cover in the PNW -- Moss.


11 comments:

  1. Your garden is full of so many lovely colors still. My favorite is the Red Coreopsis, what a warm shade of burgundy. Your Hardy Geranium reminds me of the ones I 'had' around my apple tree, until last week when Robert, our yard 'helper', thought they were weeds and are now gone..urrrg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden has an abundance of rich colour! What a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post. You just reconfirm for me, dahlias are a gift from aqove.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison, I wish I could visit your beautiful garden, oh, to have all those blooms still blooming! I have got to get out and clean my mess up faster than I have been...time is flying and we have SO much to do yet. I'm sure you remember what that's like. I bet you don't miss the colder climate gardening one bit, do you?

    How's the rock supply in your area? (That's my main criteria for moving.......are there rocks??)

    Great to see your beautiful gardens, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya gotta love moss! :) Your Dahlias still look fabulous and your Sheffield Pink Mum looks divine. I'm jealous of your Mahonia. The winter flowers will be so nice, won't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! It's nice to have flowers still blooming. I've got the Chocolate Joe Pye weed blooming now and it's covered in Honey Bees. Moss has really been growing lately, it's everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you've ended with moss, so true!! Wow, Alison, you have such pretty color in your gardens right now. I'm very impressed with the hardy geraniums that both you and Catherine have showcased this week. And the Chocolate Eupatorium..need to add that to the wish list too. Hope you are having a great week! Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your red oak! My laurel just turns brown and then drops its leaves in the spring. I also grow confetti gernaium but it gets too much shade and reverted back to plain green leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I just come live in your garden? :) You have SO many wonderful, fantastic varieties!!!! I would never get bored! I'll even weed while I'm there..lol :)

    ReplyDelete

  10. I like the flowers on the
    Chocolate Eupatorium. I also like it combined with the Cimicifuga. I will have to find one of those next. Thanks so much, Alison, for posting your link!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.