Sunday, December 26, 2010

Townsend's Warblers at the Suet Feeder

There have been new-to-me birds at the bird feeder lately. They are so quick I have had a hard time getting a photo. But today, finally, Success! I looked them up in my Birds of Washington State book, and it looks like they are Townsend's warblers. They love the suet feeder.




 
According to my book, although this bird nests throughout most of Washington, it is seldom seen until the suet feeders come out.

It's very windy here today, with temps in the mid-40s. No sign of snow, and just a touch of occasional showers. I hear the East Coast and the South are getting hammered. I hope everyone stays safe and warm and travel plans don't get too messed up.

We had a wonderful Christmas meal, and are still full.

Christmas presents included a couple of books about gardening in the Pacific Northwest, a gift certificate from Annie's Annuals and a rain gauge. What more do I need?

7 comments:

  1. Great catch on your Warbler. I see fleeting glimpses of birds and wonder what they are. This is a cute one. Love the yellow and black markings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shot of the warbler. We had a very quite Christmas here, feeders have not been to busy over the weekend. But snow is forcast for the rest of the week, they will be busy then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those Warblers, and they are hard to get pictures of. They are usually here in February and love my peanut butter feeder.
    Sounds like perfect gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a handsome little fellow! Such striking markings. So glad to hear your own tummies are full after all the feasting on Christmas day - sounds like Santa knew exactly how to warm your heart with his choice of gifts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! I haven't seen birds on our feeders yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What pretty birds, haven't had any of these near my feeders. Perhaps they don't visit this part of WA

    ReplyDelete
  7. What type of suet mix do they seem to prefer?

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.