Friday, August 6, 2010

Fertilizer Friday -- Reblooming Daylilies and Some Other Stuff

Daylilies are one of my all-time favorite perennials. I was at Lowe's a couple of weeks ago, and they had them on their half-price rack - only about $4.50. How could I pass that up, especially since my garden had so few? The great thing is that although they had bloomed out scapes on them, since then they have produced more, and are now reblooming!

Daylily 'Entrapment'

These next two I bought at Bluestone Perennials. The fans are small, but they still flowered.

'Pardon Me'

'Barbara Mitchell' (Bluestone said it's 'Barbara Mitchell' but it doesn't quite match the one I had at my previous garden, still pretty)

Agastache 'Tutti Frutti' has been blooming for a while, but I think this is the first time I've posted a pic of it.

Dahlia 'Dracula' -- love the dark leaves and bright red flower, but not sure it looks right in the bed where it is, we'll see.

Dahlia 'Mystic Dreams' also has dark foliage, not seen in the pic. This one is growing in a pot. Hmm...maybe that's the best way to show these off?

Centaurea montana 'Amethyst Dream'

Coreopsis grandiflora, another half-price purchase at Lowe's (about $1.50). This one was near death, I cut it back and nursed it back to health. What a lovely reward!

Rudbeckia 'Prairie Sun' might be an annual, might come back next year, we'll see!

My first eggplant blossom. I think it might be too late for it to ripen into fruit, but who knows? I have tiny tomatoes too, the result of the cold, wet spring and not enough hot weather. I'll do a few things differently next year. I need to do a post on lessons learned from the vegetable garden. Some things were a great success, and some -- not so much.

That's it for today! Head on over to Tootsie's to see who else is flaunting their flowers!

11 comments:

  1. All of your flowers are beautiful! I'm glad that the daylilly is so happy in its new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! I love daylilies too, and any plant on sale is one I like ;). Dracula is a great name for a dahlia and I really like your eggplant blossom. I LOVE eggplant, maybe I'll try growing it one day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new daylilies! I bought some last weekend also. Your centaura is very pretty too. Eggplants are pretty as a vegetable, and I didn't know how pretty the blossoms are as well. Nice post!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Coreopsis grandiflora. Getting "dying" plants and nursing them to health is so rewarding, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the compliments! I love those Coreopsis blooms, for some reason they make me hungry. I think they remind me of butter, or maybe cheddar cheese.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I need to get some more day lilies...I just got my first one this year...I am starting to really get into the perennials this season...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Coreopsis grandiflora is beautiful. So delicate and frilly. You have some pretty Dahlias going on there - I don't think mine are going to develope. Everything looks good in your garden. And you got some great buys too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you found some clearance deals at your local HD. I'll be heading to Lowe's next week...wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alison, Is that daylily REALLY purple or just muddied salmon in costume? LOL I need to get to Lowe's stat. :) Very, very nice. Love the Pardon Me and the white Barbara too. Don't you just love a bargain?

    The centaurea shot is to die for... refreshing with the clear, crisp blue.

    Kudos for the nursing back to health. It feels great doesn't it? Looks great too.

    So the egg plant is more a feast for the eyes this year. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Alison, you have the magic touch bringing lifeless plants back to glow! Coreopsis grandiflora is beautiful as is Rudbeckia 'Prairie Sun'.

    As a word of caution, we had to eradicate Centaurea montana in our garden several years ago for it seeded everywhere and the depth of its root system was frightening... and we hardly water. However, it may behave differently in your garden.

    I just took a similar photo yesterday for a post I'm doing of the eggplants. ;) They are loaded with those beautiful blossoms and yesterday I picked the first 4 fruits. Two varieties which we start each year and do well in the PNW are 'Ichiban' and 'Millionaire', long slender varieties and that produce into fall.

    Have a wonderful weekend and stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving that Dahlia 'Dracula'. I have never seen that one. The dark foliage is quite wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.