Thursday, June 10, 2010

Flower Flaunting -- Pacific Coast Iris, Ceanothus, Peony, and Others


I'm participating again in Tootsie's "Fertilizer Friday." I hope you like the flowers that I have in my garden this week, which have put in an appearance despite the horrible rainy cold weather.

I got this Pacific Coast Iris at a trade last month, with a bunch of people from GardenWeb. I have other colors too, but this one is the only one blooming.

My Ceanothus is going gangbusters, it smells so heavenly! The bees love it. It was the only shrub that I kept when I had the back garden redone. I don't know the variety.

I was disappointed in the Itoh peony I bought a couple of months ago, so I bought a few regular  peonies a few days ago. I love this bloom, it's called 'Top Brass.'

I'm so thrilled, my peas have flowers, which means in a few weeks I should  have my first fresh-from-the-garden peas! It's my first time growing them.

My Escallonia is in full bloom now too, the bees and hummingbirds love this shrub!

My elderberry 'Black Beauty' is blooming, I just love the dark foliage with the deep pink flowers.
I managed to catch a picture of my blue-eyed grass on a rare sunny day earlier this week, the flowers stay closed when it's not in direct sun.

Well, I hope you liked my flowers. You can see lots more at Tootsie's blog Tootsie-Time.

13 comments:

  1. All of it is beautiful. those peas look really healthy. They are so rewarding to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your peony is beautiful! I have four new ones I planted last year that haven't bloomed yet, I can't wait to see the new flowers-enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved you flowers, what a lovely garden. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen a blue flowering tree/bush like this! Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such gorgeous flowers ... loved the colours on your iris and your blue eyed grass is so pretty. The Ceanothus is the real stunner for me though ... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blooms are lovely and kudos on your peas! They look awesome,. Paula in Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fresh peas from the garden! I have to get back to more vegetables in the garden. I've just acquired a bush that looks a lot like the escallonia. I'll do some research and see if that's what I do have. Love your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a Beautiful Peony!Never seen a blue flowering shrub .....Ceanothus ? Gotta keep an eye out for that:) All your blooms look Wonderful, enjoy them! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The peas are loving this weather! I love them fresh from the vine. I really love the Elderberry. I wish I could find a spot for one, I practically drove off the road looking at one growing in front of a nursery today. I sure hope the sun comes out this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only seen pictures of ceanothus, but it mystifies me... love the colors especially and wish they were hardy here! Larry

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden is looking great. I'm in western washington near Tacoma. Maybe I'll see you at a trade sometimes. :-) I know I got the majority of whats in my garden from all of the generous traders in this area. Now I've got plenty to share too! Aren't the Pacific Coast iris neat? Hey..I just got to thinking..I think we DID meet at the Olympia trade. I'm nightnurse1968 on gardenweb. Are you the same Alison I trade with?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your peony, and the blue flowering shrub. Also your iris! Wow! I enjoyed seeing your flowers today.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Ceanothus!!! What a glorious color!!! your garden shots this week are wonderful!
    Thank you for joining in today. I have very much enjoyed my visit...I hope you will join in again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.