Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Wednesday Vignette

I don't recall ever seeing a dragonfly in May here in the PNW before. I've occasionally seen them at the height of summer, especially when it's hot, but not in May. I used to see them all the time in Massachusetts, they loved flitting around my little pond. Monday, which was cool and overcast, I found one clinging to an unopened California poppy. I've tentatively identified him as a mature male twelve-spotted skimmer, with the Latin name of Libellula pulchella.

He was completely unfazed when I got all up in his face with my macro lens.




I'm joining my friend Anna at Flutter and Hum, who hosts Wednesday Vignette. See her current post here.

15 comments:

  1. Great close up shots Alison! Was spring warmer than usual there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful patterns. Alison, you have the best eye for things of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's a handsome dragon and you took great pictures of him. How nice of him to pose so nicely for you! Does seem a bit early but we've had a warm spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how completely cool and lovely. Great photo, Alison - a bit of good fortune getting a shot of that fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful shots of this flying beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a little beauty and exquiste wings. Super photos Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, the pictures are beautiful!!! and the little fellow is very neat too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh golly that is the most beautiful dragonfly! Awesome photos. Glad you are having nice weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had one in the yard last week, too! I don't know if it was the same kind, 'cause I didn't get that close, but I was surprised to see one so early.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG - beautiful shots, Alison! Sooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. He's a handsome fellow. Most of ours are reddish in color. I'd always heard they congregate near sources of water and we have little of that but they're relatively common here nonetheless. Maybe they like swimming pools.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo! Great photos! I saw one flitting around the bonsai bench this afternoon after the drip emitters had been on. I was thinking about how early it was to see them too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic photos, what a handsome guy he is! A couple of weeks ago I was buzzed by one by our pond, he didn't settle until I moved away.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.