Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Friday, October 17, 2014

I Almost Missed This!

How on earth did I not notice that my Hedychium 'Tara' that I bought this past spring at the Rare Plant Research Open House was blooming? I didn't even see it in bud. I was out there combing the garden for flowers to photograph for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day just two days ago. It was probably flowering then, yet somehow I missed it.

This flower is so cool!

Hedychium coccineum 'Tara,' Digiplexis 'Illumination Flame' and Nicotiana sylvestris




And that picture with the Digiplexis reminds me -- I was going to dig the 'Illumination Flame' up and overwinter it in the greenhouse, to make sure I have it next year too. It's also a great plant. I cut it back after the first time it flowered, and it is reblooming magnificently. I've been juggling plants and shelving in the greenhouse for several days now. I hope I can find a spot for it.

22 comments:

  1. The blooms may not last that long on gingers but when they it was worth the wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed how pretty this corner of the garden was--with the Digiplexis blooming adjacent to the bright leaves of the canna--and now this, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is spectacular Bonney! Those colors are perfect for fall :-D🌹🌻🌹🌻🌹

    ReplyDelete
  4. the orange the orange the orange....so decadent....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow late bloomer, but you know what they say...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about fragrance? Does it smell good like the white hedychiums? The color is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed a strong scent in that area last night when I first saw the bloom, but I put that down to the Nicotiana that is flowering all around it. I tried again just now, mid-morning, and there is a mild scent, more spicy than sweet.

      Delete
  7. Like my favorite sage, Yogi Berra, said: "the more you look, the more you see".

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to ask about fragrance too. It was brilliant of you to plant it near the Digiplexis. Absolutely stunning! Since I don't have a greenhouse, I'm going to leave my Digi in the ground and cover it if the weather gets too frightful. Hopefully we'll never have a winter like last year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yoyu really have some spectacular orange flowers on your ginger, beautiful.
    I hope it survives the winteer in your greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect color for fall, and so striking with your Digiplexus. I know that feeling of disbelief when one overlooks something so beautiful - thanks for sharing it here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely and a perfect match for the Digiplexus. My Tara is long gone, what a lovely surprise to come upon it unawares. This is my favourite Hedychium.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice combination! Keep a careful eye on the Digiplexis when you bring it in - all of mine were attacked by wooly aphids when they were stressed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one fantastic flower, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love when a plant surprises you like that. I love the combination of the three!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the color and form of this exotic flower...really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool and very gorgeous! I do love orange flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous ginger and beautiful combination! What a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.