Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Friday, August 15, 2014

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day -- August, 2014

It's Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, and therefore time for a cavalcade of flowers!

Red Dahlia grown from seed this past winter

Cupid's Dart/Catananche caerulea

Variegated Hydrangea bought last year from Cistus

Helenium

Un-named Dahlia bought last weekend at Flower World

Eucomis 'Sparkling Burgundy'

Oreganum 'Kent Beauty'

Yellow Crocosmia, a gift from my friend Annette

Brugmansia

Andropogon gerardii /Big Bluestem (you can see why it's also called turkey foot grass)

Kniphofia 'Mango Popsicle'

I hope these Amaranthus flowers produce lots of seeds for seedlings next year

Nicotiana

Sedum 'Autumn Joy' starting to color up, another gift from Annette

Tall Phlox, bowing down under the weight of our recent deluge of rain

Balloon flower, showing one flower about to open, two open, and one deflated

Rudbeckia, Echinacea, and Monarda 'Raspberry Wine'

Echinacea and Coreopsis (maybe 'Red Shift')

Hydrangea quercifolia

Tricyrtis/Toad lily

My one really exuberantly flowering bed in the back garden -- this is what I see when I look out my kitchen window over the sink, while I'm washing dishes

Itea virginica (I think) (Edit: I knew as I was typing it that Itea wasn't right, but I couldn't dredge the actual name up out of the vast, empty, echoing reaches of my mind -- fortunately, blogger friends have let me know in the comments that it's Clethra alnifolia)

Hardy Fuchsia aurea

Abutilon 'Red Tiger'

Alstroemeria isabellana, another recent purchase at the Fronderosa Frolic last weekend, from Far Reaches Farm


I hope you enjoyed my very own personal flower show. I bet you have plenty blooming now too! Check out Carol Michel's blog May Dreams Gardens to see more Bloom Day posts from around the world.

21 comments:

  1. How lovely Alison! I'm so very jealous of your hardy Fuchsias! they are superb. I love that border you see from your kitchen window. You must get tons of Hummingbirds there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots to see in your garden, all beautiful. I always thought it was calvacade -- easier to pronounce than cavalcade. My corrected word for the day. Send the cavalry.

    Your variegated hydrangea is different than my green, gray-green and white. The gray-green is like a 'blue' hosta color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every morning I go out; and still the 'Cupids dart' refuses to bloom, saying that I haves checked today, fingers crossed !
    Lots of beauties Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That unnamed dahlia and eucomis - they stopped me in my tracks. Wow...lots going on and blooming for you this week! And your toad lily is blooming too? Very cool, Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Itea is actually Clethra (Ruby Spice?). Love the lush fuchsia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the correction, Kate! I kind of knew when I was typing it that it was wrong, but I couldn't dredge the word Clethra up from my heat-addled brain!

      Delete
  6. So glad to see you got a Alstroemeria isabellana, isn't it the best?! So what are you doing with your Abutilon 'Red Tiger' to get it to bloom? Mine has had precisely 1 *ONE* flower on it this year. I bought it in the spring (HPSO sale) with 4 or 5 buds on it and that's the best it's looked. Is yours in the ground? How long have you had it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some stunning plants Alison. I have never seen that Alstroemera before and the Abutilon is very unusual. I love your dahlia grown from seed, it is such fun growing them yourself isn,'t it? You are never quite sure what you will get. The same with seed grown Crocosmias.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a lot of beauties in your garden. Origanum 'Kent Beauty' such a beautiful plant in your garden......I only can have it in a pot, the Catananche, the "Sparkling Burgundy" Eucomis, so special and not to forget the Alstroemeria Isabellana which is totally new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a colourful cavalcade. But I'm going for the A's: alstroemeria and abutilon, glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're inundated with beautiful flowers, Alison! I love the views of your back border - I can't even imagine getting bloom that exuberant (especially in August!). My Amaranth has already pooped out and it appears that, once again, the Eucomis has failed to bloom at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fuchsia border is amazing! So many well-chosen plants. I've taken a time out from abutilons (scale) and species fuchsias (mites) but feel a weakness for them coming back...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful post. I love the exuberant border.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful selection but the Alstroemeria isabellana is simply divine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! So glad that you got that dahlia as it looks perfect with the canna behind it! So many beautiful blooms! Love that variegated hydrangea! Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that dahlia and a clethra...I have a pink one too...so many gorgeous colorful blooms Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The bed you see out the kitchen window is certainly exuberant - love that fuschia. And I see you have some happy joe pye weed adding some height and color, also.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your garden looks wonderful, I like your exuberant bed especially, so colorful! I have trouble keeping my garden watered, perhaps that is why some of the plants have failed for me, like species Fuchsias. I didn't succeed with Abutilon 'Red Tiger', either.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to take my maiden voyage to Cistus on Wednesday. I can't wait! That yellow Crocosmia is gorgeous - I need one! My 'Autumn Joy' is blushing as I type. I love it. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got a good laugh about your balloon flower being "deflated" haha! I have some too in a pot. Very interesting little flowers they are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous photos of fantastic flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.