Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Foliage Followup -- June 2014

For Foliage Followup I thought I'd do an actual follow-up post, about the conifers I planted in the front garden earlier this year. They're settling in well, I think. I'm a conifer newbie, so I'm basing that solely on how they look, and how they're behaving. A couple of them are trying to reproduce, which is a good sign, right?

Abies koreana 'Silberlocke' is making some lovely cones

Cones and growing tips looking healthy

And overall, he looks good

Hinoki cypress 'Sunlight Lace' looks pretty, despite her full sun position

A bit of sun scorch on her lower limbs

Pinus sylvestris 'Nisbet's Gold' is producing cones too, and has greened up since being planted

Cedrus atlantica 'Horstmann' is filling out

The tip of the leader looks a bit funky, and I don't know what that means

All conifers drop needles, right?



Blue Atlas Cedar and pine

From left to right: Cedrus atlantica 'Horstmann,' Pinus sylvestris 'Nisbet's Gold,' Hinoki Cypress 'Sunlight Lace,' and Abies koreana 'Silberlocke'


You can read a post here about buying the Blue Atlas Cedar.

I'm a few days late with my Foliage Followup post. It's been a busy week, and I wasn't prepared. Pam Penick at the blog Digging hosts Foliage Followup, on the day after Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. Its purpose is to celebrate the role of foliage in the garden. Go to Pam's post here, and check out all the foliage posts from other bloggers in the comments.

13 comments:

  1. Nice selection of conifers. I just planted a 'Silberlock' a couple years ago and absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your collection is impressive, Alison. Conifers do drop needles; some of them do it year 'round.

    I admire the many conifers that grow so well in places with cooler summers than mine. I have to remind myself about our broadleaf evergreens just before I get really out of sorts about it. Mostly just the ones that grow to enormous size do well here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat seeing your new conifers... I'm not totally a newbie but have stretched my limits considerably this spring in regard to conifers... I am crazy about Abies koreana cultivars and Pinus parviflora cultivars.... two of my last three posts show a number of my additions if you're interested. In addition to the silberlockes, I added a couple other larger growing Abies... that being aurea and am anticipating a time when I get blue cones next to the golden foliage... it's scary territory in this climate, but hoping for success... I know some of the things you've planted definitely wouldn't make it here... wish they would as I love them! Larry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those cones in the opening shots, they're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love that 'Silberlocke'! My Sunset Western Garden Book even says it'll grow here. It's size would be a problem, though :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your conifers look lovely. The rule of thumb as I recall is that as long as the needle-drop is from the old needles, it's totally normal. If young, new needles are falling, there is a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cones look fab Alison! It's good you highlighted them now as conifers tend to get highlighted mostly in the winter when they look good in the summer too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realize you had so many conifers. I'm an addict.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your conifer selections, I particularly like yellow-green and silvery blue conifers, so I hope your Atlas cedar does well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I remember correctly I'm sure we both planted our Silberlocke around the same time. Aren't those cones amazing!
    They all look great Alison and do look like they are settling in just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I enjoy conifers, as well. I especially like your Atlas cedar. I think the tip may have died, though. When conifer branches look like that, they rarely resprout. You'll have to train a new leader if you want it to stay more upright and narrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have some great and unusual conifers especially the Abies koreana. I am very smitten with it. I need to add some more evergreens. I have to remove some bushes and I hope to add evergreens instead although they better be native and like wet clay.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely adore your Abies Koreana. Those gorgeous round cones sitting upright on the branches like fat candles. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.