Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

I'm Melting! Melting!

"Oh, what a world, what a world!"

We had more snow over the weekend that covered everything, even the grass and the streets, but I was too much of a snow curmudgeon to go out and get pictures. That would have meant admitting that a snow-covered garden has a certain degree of beauty.

Now it's above freezing, and I went out to capture the melting, which I am much happier about.

Garlic poking its way up through

Snow that was on top of the hoophouse plastic on Sunday has slid off into a pile of slush

Something large -- probably a raccoon -- has made its way between the raised beds in the veggie garden. There was evidence elsewhere of their destructive playing.

On Sunday there was no green, only white


These much smaller tracks are probably from a cat...

Chasing this little fella maybe.

The snow on the roof of the greenhouse is starting to melt and slide off, creating rivulets

And lots and lots of drips

Splish splash!
 There's a post sabout the greenhouse coming, be patient.

In plenty of spots nothing but water droplets are left.

Like this Yucca aloifolia 'purpurea'

I'm so very glad that we didn't get snow followed by ice, like Portland. I can commiserate with them, we had an ice storm a couple of years ago that left Washington without power all over, and lots of downed trees, including my pear, which had to be replaced.

Soon, if not today, they'll be celebrating the melting too, and wondering what lived and what died. That wicked witch winter will be dead soon, and the Emerald City and environs can start rejoicing.



10 comments:

  1. Sorry about that bucket of water landing on you. Didn't know it worked on snow curmudgeons as well as wicked witches. Hmm. Tracks in the snow are lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be the first photo essay I've seen on "Melting"! Fun. And yes, we are glad when it melts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ding Dong the Witch is dead! Most of us were seduced by the beauty of the snow, but you got really creative and showed us how beautiful the melting can be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this is the last of the ice and snow you're going to see up there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good capture of the blissfulness of melting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sight of melting snow (not the yukky dirty kind) revealing all that lies beneath is a wonder - I do hope you've seen the last of it Alison.
    We had our first snow fall last night but thankfully it didn't lie but today it's been dull overcast and downright miserable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like the cold that comes with snow either! Some nice shots.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "There's a post sabout the greenhouse coming, be patient."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how I wish it were melting around here!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.