Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Friday, January 17, 2014

Garden Update

Well, I didn't get my act together enough earlier this week to put together either a Bloom Day or Foliage Followup post. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were such nice, dry days approaching tolerable temperatures (almost 50 degrees!), that I spent them outside on my hands and knees pulling weeds, cutting back and sorting out. I didn't want to take time away from the garden just to take pictures of it.  Still, despite having 3 days to work, I made only a small amount of headway on only one bed. We were supposed to get part sun with temps even warmer yesterday and today, but so far there is nothing but fog and the temperature is so cold it makes my hands ache. And there is nothing but fog in the forecast for the next 5 days. Bummer!

Anyhow, here are some closeup shots of what's looking nice in my garden right now.

I have several Hellebores, but this one is the closest to flowering


One of several profusely flowering Sweetbox -- such a delicious scent!


Mahonia 'Charity'

Mahonia 'Charity'





Cyclamen coum

Last weekend we had a major windstorm, which left my garden littered with Douglas fir boughs and cones. One quite large bough fell on one of my few blooming plants, a Mahonia 'Charity', and as I pulled it off and dragged it onto the patio, I couldn't help noticing it had some pretty lichens on it.



This pattern beneath my fall-planted Schefflera delavayi is evidence of the recent windstorm -- that little branch was blown ragged sweeping back and forth across the soil!


Here's some un-fabulous foliage I could do without -- a corner of the garden that is rapidly getting over-run with shotweed.

Here's hoping we get some weather soon that is conducive to gardening. Oh, one piece of good news -- my back is so much better after about 4 months of rest, that it barely registered all that work earlier this week. My legs and arms ached from crawling around, but not my back.

17 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear your back held up for your first gardening of the year. We worked outside too early in the week. Tom was out this afternoon for a while but the cold damp fog soon got to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your back didn't give you fits, Alison...you'll be right as rain in time for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uuggh…shotweed…

    I sure like sarcococca--I plan to have some in my garden but I am waiting to complete hardscaping projects in its future hime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that photo of the Shefflera, something only a gardener would notice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you have some green, even if they're weeds. I have a brown dormant blob of blah frosted with a scoop of ick. I have about a month to go before my sweetbox blooms. So glad your back is better! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well with Hellebores almost out and Sarcococca out you are away, exciting things happening. Lovely close up shot of the Sarcococca. Your shot weed looks like what we call Hairy bittercress: Cardamine hirstuta. Shot weed is a good name for it because the seeds shoot everywhere if you don't catch it in good time. It's lovely to get out and work in the garden even when it's cold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never remember the Bloom Day. Ok I do, but usually a few days too late. Loved the shots--blooms this time of year are so special!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought a Sarcococca , I can't wait till it get that size, I need to find a place for it first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated Bloom Day! You got some nice shots - I really like the Mahonia (which my local nurseries don't seem to offer). Weather forecasts notwithstanding, I hope you get some warmer days - too bad I can't send you some of our ridiculously high temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks really good to me, especially that sweetbox. Maybe you want a nice thick groundcover in that corner where the weeds are running wild?

    ReplyDelete
  11. So here is this poor snowed in gardener drooling over your photos and crying, oh green...leaves....buds...lol.

    I'm wondering when our Mahonia will bloom, it's pretty much the only thing evergreen up here.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's awesome that your back is doing better! We've got shotweed all over too--I wish the freeze would've taken out some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your back is better than ever, that's fantastic news. Oh, the hellebores, how beautiful. And all the greenery is so refreshing to see. We're plunging back to the sub-zero's again, so I'll just look at your photos for encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear you're feeling much better and you are recovering. Hopefully by spring you'll be fully fine, ready to be gardening full force again. Gorgeous pics and love the box, the fragrance must be divine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd always rather let the garden win out over the computer. In the end, you managed to do both.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Alison! Shotweeds are especially plump and healthy this winter! Someone told me that they can be used instead of mustard for sandwiches, he-he...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow I love seeing blooms and green as we deal with this brutal winter!!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.