Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Entry for Gardening Gone Wild's Picture This Photo Contest

I entered their monthly contest once before and didn't win -- in fact, I didn't even place -- so I thought I would try again. The theme of this month's contest is the effect of light on pictures. According to the post on Gardening Gone Wild, the "task this month is to submit an image that shows some sensitivity in matching the right light to the right subject. Vistas, plant details, people, dogs, bumblebees and elves are all fair game. In fact anything that you can find in or near a garden will qualify."

Right now, with our constant overcast or rainy days here, the light doesn't really lend itself to producing dramatic effects in photos, so I've been going over my old pics looking for one to enter.

I have a picture of my old garden with snow on the trees in winter.

Or this one of the sea stacks at Ruby Beach, from my very first visit to Washington state about 6 years ago, looking very mysterious. That trip was the beginning of my great Washington adventure.

A village lane in England
Or this picture of my late MIL, shown in a previous post

Here's another possibility -- a water lily on my pond in Massachusetts.

Water droplets on Lady's Mantle

I rather like this one of the water feature in my current garden, my pride and joy. This is the first thing you see upon entering the garden through the garden gate.
Well, after consulting with my husband, I've decided to enter the one of my old garden in winter, the very first picture in this post.

12 comments:

  1. They really are all LOVELY, Alison, but I, too, thought the first one took my breath away when I first laid eyes on it. I'm so pleased I didn't have to choose for you :)

    GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shots. You have a wonderful garden, I would use that one. Take care and have a great week Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison, I'm sure with any of these photos you will win...they are all phenomenal. I especially like the winter photo, (all that lovely snow and the different colors in the background) but the photo from Ruby Beach and the waterlilies and the one of your MIL and the lady's mantle are all fantastic, too...ok, I like them all and am of no help in selecting the right one.

    The photo of your garden through the gate is breathtaking (how I'd love to visit.) Good luck, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful shots Alison with such wonderful contrast. I love to take pictures with water drops on them. Good luck on the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All beautiful shots, Alison. Fingers crossed that you're a big winner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in love with the Ruby Beach photo! Such colors and shapes! I also love the last one of your garden. The open gate the garden and the slant of the sun is so inviting! I agree the first one fits the bill for the contest. Good luck. All of them are winners in my book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alison, they are all great pictures! I'm partial to the last one with SUN BEAMS!! What are those?? I hope you are a big winner this time!! Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a dilemma! It's too hard to choose, but what a great choice you've made. Beautiful! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All great shots, Alison. I think the first one highlights the lighting best, though:) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love pics with people in them. I'd have chosen the one of your MIL. I treasure her milkmaid pitcher.

    Remind me in 2-3 weeks when the foliage dies on Van Sion and I'll send you some.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a number of good ones to choose from Alison! I love the rays of sun shining on your water feature and the village lane too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.